Reader in Intellectual Property Law
City, University of London
Enrico Bonadio is Reader at City, University of London. He teaches, researches and advises in the field of intellectual property (IP) law.
His current research agenda focuses on the intersection between IP and technology, protection of non-conventional forms of creativity as well as IP protection in the agricultural sector, amongst other areas. He has two monographs – ‘TRIPS and genetic resources’ (Jovene 2008) and ‘Copyright in the Street – An Oral History of Creative Processes in the Street Art and Graffiti Subcultures’ (Cambridge University Press 2023).
He is also the author, editor or co-editor of the following books:
- 'Cannabis and Intellectual Property' (with N. Corthésy and Yentyl Williams) (Elgar forthcoming 2025)
- ‘Intellectual Property Bites’ (with Andrea Borghini) (monograph) (Routledge forthcoming 2024)
- ‘Non-Fungible Tokens and Copyright’ (edited with C. Sganga) (Routledge, forthcoming 2024);
- ‘The Future of Geographical Indications: European and Global Perspectives' (edited with A. Zappalaglio) (Elgar forthcoming 2024);
- ‘A Research Agenda for Patent Law’ (edited with N. Shemtov) (Elgar, forthcoming 2024); ‘
- A Research Agenda for Copyright Law’ (edited with C. Sganga) (Elgar, forthcoming 2024);
- ‘Information Technology Law’ (textbook - with U. Kohl and A. Charlesworth) (Routledge, forthcoming 2024);
- ‘Music Borrowing, Creativity and Copyright’ (edited with C. Zhu) (Hart Publishing forthcoming 2023);
- ‘The Cambridge Handbook of Investment-Driven Intellectual Property’ (edited with P. Goold) (Cambridge University Press 2023);
- ‘Intellectual Property Excesses – Exploring the Boundaries of IP Protection’ (edited with A. O’Connell) (Hart Publishing 2022);
- ‘The Subjects of Artistic and Literary Copyright’ (edited with C. Sappa) (Elgar 2022);
- ‘Protecting Art in the Street – A Photographic Guide to Copyright in Street Art and Graffiti’ (photographic book) (Dokument Press, 2020);
- ‘The Cambridge Handbook of Copyright in Street Art and Graffiti’ (edited) (Cambridge University Press, 2019);
- ‘Non-Conventional Copyright – Do New and Atypical Works Deserve Protection?’ (edited with Nicola Lucchi) (Edward Elgar, 2018);
- ‘The New Intellectual Property of Health – Beyond Plain Packaging’ (edited with Alberto Alemanno) (Edward Elgar, 2016).
Enrico also authored more than one hundred articles, case notes and book chapters touching various aspects of IP law. He is the Deputy Editor in Chief and Intellectual Property Correspondent of the European Journal of Risk Regulation (EJRR) (Cambridge University Press), as well as Member of the Editorial Board of NUART Journal; CitAI (Artificial Intelligence Research Centre at City, University of London); Centre for Creativity enabled by AI, funded by UKRI’s Research England and City, University of London, which has been awarded £7.6 million over 4 years; Law Society of England and Wales; ATRIP (International Association for the Advancement of Teaching and Research in Intellectual Property); BLACA (British Literary and Artistic Copyright Association).
Enrico has been delivering classes and talks in more than 130 universities and institutions spanning six continents. He is (or has been) Visiting lecturer at (amongst others) the WIPO LLMs in Intellectual Property at: (i) University of Turin / ILO, Italy (2008- to date); (ii) Ankara University, Turkey (2017 - to date); (iii) Tongji University, Shanghai, China (2019); Visiting Professor in Intellectual Property law at Universite’ Catholique Lyon (France) (2011-to date); Distinguished Guest Professor at Keio University, Tokyo (Japan) (2019 – 2022); Visiting Professor at the West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences (2022-2024); Visiting Professor at the University of Hannover (Germany) (September 2022); Visiting Scholar at Hokkaido University, Sapporo (Japan) (October-November 2019); Visiting Research Fellow at Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv (Israel) (December 2018 and April 2019); Visiting Professor in Intellectual Property Law at University of Turku (Finland) (2013 -2017); September 2016 – December 2016: Visiting Scholar at CUNY Law School, New York (US); September 2013 – December 2013: Visiting Scholar at the University of Melbourne (Australia). Enrico has also delivered lectures at various WIPO IP law Summer Schools, organised in Prague, Odessa, Ankara, Teheran, Dubrovnik and Riyadh.